Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Eye See What She Did There


For several years, I've been using contact lenses that have pretty much gone the way of the dodo. I am stubborn and do not like change!  These contacts are almost discontinued and always have to be special-ordered for me.

Lately, within the past year and a half, I have been having problems reading close with my contacts in, which are in for me to see far.  If I want to read, I can take of my contact lenses and boom, I can read.  I spend most of my times in my glasses now because I can simply remove them to read.  This has done nothing for my ego, as I like my glasses, but feet I look better in my contacts.

I went for my annual appointment at the place I have been going to for about 5 years.  There is one main female doctor who owns the practice and she has a few rotating doctors.  I have not seen her specifically in like 3 years.

First thing she says to me: "I haven't seen you in forever. I had to go up front and make sure they had gotten your date of birth correct on your chart, because you do NOT look like someone in her forties! Good for you!"

So I love her.

She is uber-thorough; meticulous in her work.  Way better than the other doctors that float in and out of her practice.  I'd forgotten how good she was.

We talked about my reading issues with contacts, the fact that my contacts are almost obsolete and dry up quickly with changes in temperature (from heat to air-conditioned buildings, etc.) and new things that have happened within the past 5 years to help me out.

She gave me a super duper weighted fancy contact for my right eye, my dominant eye.  It's weighted. No matter how I put it in, gravity will shift it so the heavier part is south.  It has to do with the focal point, sciencesciencethingydooda.  Then on my left eye, she put a regular contact with a different prescription.

While there, I'm given 10 minutes to acclimate to them and I'm not sure what's going on. I'm confused.  Why can't I see correctly?

She brings me back in to the room and has me read far. Yep, I can see everything perfectly with both eyes open.  Then, she hands me a paper to read.

And I can read it.  With the contacts in.  The left eye is for reading close, the right eye for seeing far.  The brain then fills in the gaps!  She said it takes 2-3 days for my brain to figure out what's going on, and wants me to try them for 2 weeks before she gives me the prescription for them.

It is so bizarre.  I know this is not new technology. It's just new to me and so far, I am amazed!




1 comment:

Niki said...

Science is awesome!